6. Is she Indian? What’s her ethnicity?
Many people confuse Maitreyi Ramakrishnan for an Indian girl. The guess is close, however not accurate. Ramakrishnan is a Tamilian, a community largely based in south India. The only inaccuracy is, she’s from Sri Lanka.
5. Where was she born? What’s her age?
Yes, Ramakrishnan is Canadian. She was born on December 29, 2001, in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. She cherishes and celebrates her Tamil culture, nevertheless, when it comes to nationality, she prefers to be a Canadian. Addressing the topic in an interview with Now Toronto on Aug 29, 2019, she shared,
“My identity isn’t being Sri Lankan. That’s not my country. My country is Canada. But my culture is definitely Tamil.”
Again, Ramakrishnan is highly concerned about her representation and prefers to be recognized as Canadia-Tamil. As a result, she even instructed her publicists and agent not to work otherwise. She further gushed,
“I made it very clear to my agent and publicist that Tamil Canadian is very, very important to me … my identity isn’t being Sri Lankan.”
4. (My-Tray-Ee) can’t stand her name being mispronounced.
Tamilian names are usually longer than western or even other Asian names. Since her name might strike as new to many, Ramakrishnan must have been called invariant pronunciations. The catch is, she absolutely hates it.
“If you can say the character names in Game Of Thrones, you can say my Tamil name,” shared Ramakrishnan.
3. She loved learning Harp for the show.
This 19-year-old actress learned Harp for Netflix’s show Never Have I Ever. Maitreyi enjoyed learning to play the instrument and is also grateful for it. All thanks to Devi Vishwakumar, a skilled harp player.
2. “What’s popping”, a catchphrase Ramakrishnan lent to Devi Vishwakumar.
Ramakrishnan, a teenage girl with her own swag and slang used ‘what’s poppin’?’ all the time. But isn’t that Devi’s catchphrase? Yeah, you’re right. Ramakrishnan took her real-life line to her on-screen life, and it couldn’t be any better.
1. She made $20,000 per episode.
According to TMZ, her minor’s contract read to remunerate twenty thousand bucks per episode. The total of 10 episodes in season one of Never Have I Ever earned, Ramakrishnan earned a minimum of $200K.
Ramakrishnan is continuing with the Never Have I Ever Season 2, which is set to be released in July 2021. After the humongous success of season one, she should be paid much higher this time, making a huge difference in her current net worth.
Extra Dose: Three most asked questions about Maitreyi Ramakrishnan
1. How tall is she?
– Ramakrishnan stands tall at the height of 5′ 6″ (1.68 m).
2. What are her work credits?
– Never Have I Ever is her first television work. Since then, her appearance was noted on “Acting for a Cause (2020). She said that she’s reading scripts. Hopefully, we’ll see her in movies and other series as well.
3. Does she use TikTok?
– Ramakrishnan is smashing in the TikTok world with 1.7M followers. You can follow her at: